[Dixielandjazz] Marketing to Retirement Homes, CCRC's etc.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Dec 30 16:26:09 PST 2006

SB--Like you, I think those that give music away free at locations that can
pay
for it are the bane of the working musician. However, freebies in the small
charity wards where they don't hurt the music business, or in other venues
that don't hurt the music business are to be encouraged.

LW --- to be sure and that's why I try to do things like that but get very
few calls - I guess mostly because I don't advertise or call on them.

SB --Several times, we've been supplanted by rival
> groups for a performance because of price, only to get the account back in
> the fold because they were dissatisfied with the cheaper performance.

LW--This happens but I think they are driven by numbers and bean counters
more than quality.  I personally think that we do pretty well for them but I
have played with some of my competition that aren't as good but they do
about as well as I do.  They typically take larger groups than I do and that
counts with some of the Rec. Directors.  That's a whole economic thing to
it's self.  The larger group seems to win.

SB --From
> Classical string quartets from Phila Orchestra players ($400 a man) to us.

LW -- You are talking about Saturday night prices for groups here not run of
the mill afternoons - I'm not aware of anyone here that ever approaches the
$400 a man you quote for any reason except for some leaders.  You can get a
killer band here for $1200 which would only buy a trio at that price.  Some
of the brass groups do OK for weddings and churches considering they are
only playing for an hour or so.  They can get $200-300 a man for Christmas
eve or Easter.  Some weddings pay that too but that's definitely high end
and the musician doesn't see some of that.  Also String and Brass groups
aren't directly competing with me for the same jobs.

SB--They all pretty much know each other, but sell "distance" etc. (see
above)

LW--I tell them that I have to compete with other bands for musicians and if
I don't pay my people fairly well they will work for other people.  Distance
doesn't really work very well because most of the venues are within easy
driving distance.  Because of the good highway system here I can get almost
anywhere in St. Louis and St. Louis county in 35 minutes and I can reach
into Illinois and into St. Charles county quite a way in the same time.  I
tend to not count it.

SB--> The key is developing a relationship with the Activities Director and
as an
> unabashed flirt, singing a special song dedicated to them at each
> performance, that's not a problem for me. (I Want A Little Girl, I Can't
> Get
> Started, etc.) Just make eye contact and smile when you sing it. :-)

SB--What I "sell" is the bio of each band member,
> one at the end of each song, with a short funny story about him. This
> connects the audience to us like we were old friends.

LW-- You are full of great Ideas and I like those.

SB--We show up "neat casual", slacks
> of your choice and shirt of your choice.

LW- That opens up a multitude of sins although I like casual wear if for no
other reason that it feels better.  I personally don't like wearing jackets
because I get warm when I play.

SB -- Yes, they sell "good" entertainment.

LW-- A few of the retirement community residents are asked who they like and
they have a say in who is hired and for them better does count.  Some of
those places I play with other groups.  I don't solicit a place that has
been hiring a friends group especially if I am asked to play in the band.  I
really don't like guys who work for me to solicit a venue that I book
although it does happen sometimes.
Larry
St. Louis