[Dixielandjazz] Marketing to Retirement Homes, CCRC's etc.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 30 14:36:02 PST 2006

"Larry Walton  <larrys.bands at charter.net> wrote (polite snip)

> I'm sort of wondering how you handle booking one for one price and another
> for another price?  One of the largest Senior centers here is a multi
> center conglomerate.  The recreation directors meet each month and compare
> notes and exchange ideas.  Once you work cheap for one you can't get above
> the ice with the others.

We also work multi center conglomerates. Depending upon size and amenities,
they all have different monthly budgets. And they do talk with each other.
However, over the years we have been able to set different price levels with
them (6 locations, different names, etc., owned by one corporation.)

How? By talking about the varying distances that we have to travel, gas
prices etc. and by getting very friendly with the Activities Directors. They
all understand that we are cutting them a break from our normal pricing
structure $900 min for a 6 piece gig) and they respond to our varied pricing
of $600 to $750 for them with no complaints.

These are all done Sunday night through Thursday night. Friday and Saturday
are be priced higher and the Activities Directors know that.

One of the 6 locations owned by the conglomerate is very small and so for
that one we work a quartet at $400. She always tells us that she wishes she
could afford the entire band. The others tell us that they are glad they
don't have to cut down to quartet because they like the full band. They will
also tell you that their individual entertainment budgets vary and what they
are if you get close to them.

The key is developing a relationship with the Activities Director and as an
unabashed flirt, singing a special song dedicated to them at each
performance, that's not a problem for me. (I Want A Little Girl, I Can't Get
Started, etc.) Just make eye contact and smile when you sing it. :-) VBG

> Why is that?  Well I would like to say that I have a whole bunch of quality
> on my side but that wouldn't really help because in this business I don't
> think quality counts for all that much.

I think quality does count. Several times, we've been supplanted by rival
groups for a performance because of price, only to get the account back in
the fold because they were dissatisfied with the cheaper performance.

> There are some things that count though and that's a fast paced program that
> they want to hear and dress sharp.  A lot of bands because they aren't
> making much dress pretty casual.  My guys wear vests and wear long sleeve
> white shirts and ties.  I also wear hats.  The old people love it.  Straw
> hat or a jesters hat for Mardi Gras, Bunny ears for Easter, Sombrero for
> Cinch De Mayo and so on.  While some think this is corny the old people like
> it.  If anyone remembers Arthur Godfrey you will remember corn sells
> especially here in flyoverland.  I think showing up casual shows some
> disrespect for the audience.

Possibly so in your area, but not for us. We show up "neat casual", slacks
of your choice and shirt of your choice. That has always been our normal
band persona since day one. What I "sell" is the bio of each band member,
one at the end of each song, with a short funny story about him. This
connects the audience to us like we were old friends. Works great for us,
may not work well for you.

> Many of the recreation directors know each other and will fix your price for
> you.  If you work for one price at any venue it's really hard to get more
> the next time.

They all pretty much know each other, but sell "distance" etc. (see above)

> My biggest problem is people willing to give away what I am charging for.
> There is another dynamic at work here too and that is the Rec. Directors
> have to provide entertainment for their seniors.  They put it into their
> brochures and use it as a sales tool and even show it on TV in ads
> sometimes.  They need entertainment on a regular basis but they don't
> necessarily need quality.  They go for quantity.  They can say they provide
> entertainment x number of times a week.  Looks great on paper.

Yes, they sell "good" entertainment. We do some open houses where they show
off the facility to prospects at various locations. Usually in trio or
quartet form as background music with American Songbook format. We wear
sports jacket and tie for these. (your choice of colors)

> Around Christmas I can't give away music to these people because every group
> in the world is touring the old folks homes FREE.  They are knee deep in
> singing bodies.  They almost need traffic control.

We do some freebies for charity homes in December. Very small audiences,
wheel chairs etc. But we also do a couple of paid performances at others
that have entertainment budgets. And our New Years gig is at a CCRC that has
a year round entertainment schedule that would knock your socks off. From
Classical string quartets from Phila Orchestra players ($400 a man) to us.

Like you, I think those that give music away free at locations that can pay
for it are the bane of the working musician. However, freebies in the small
charity wards where they don't hurt the music business, or in other venues
that don't hurt the music business are to be encouraged.

> I think that if you think of music as a product and service that they need
> to survive then you will price it fairly, package it attractively, make it
> available,  make it's quality uniform, deliver it reliably and then
> advertise it.

Absolutely.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone