[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 48, Issue 66_Betty Owens: Jazz Me Blues Gal

ALOHArose at aol.com ALOHArose at aol.com
Sat Dec 30 09:23:20 PST 2006

Betty Owens: A reminiscence
In 1949, my folks returning to the Midwest from New Orleans brought me a
batch of 78s, which I think were on the Roulette label.  It was the music of the
Dukes of Dixieland, and all the records were enthusiastically signed by Frank
and Freddie Assunto. I was only 13, but old enough to appreciate the gift, and
played them constantly, familiarizing myself with every note. I particularly
enjoyed the occasional cut that featured a female vocalist, especially a number
called Jazz Me Blues, where she belted out with great confidence and a
musical appeal which suggested the styling and authority of a full blown jazz
singer. More than fifty years later, I found out that unnamed singer was Betty
Owens, and most importantly, that she was only about 16 when she recorded Jazz Me
Blues.
In the meantime, some previously distant family members were opening a
restaurant in New Orleans, and between that event and the lure of the music, some
three years later it was determined that I should attend college in New Orleans,
where friends and family could keep a watchful eye on me.  Believe me, those
fun lovin New Orleans folk KNOW how to keep an eye. Once in the Crescent City,
my days were schizophrenically divided between week days in a 'finishing
school' atmosphere which insisted on a male ESCORT for female students traveling
anywhere on campus after dark, and weekends in the French Quarter recklessly
pursuing in all manner of excitement, people, food and music.
The courtyard behind Dottie Rieger's at 920 Chartres was my weekend home; the
Famous Door and the Dukes mandated a visit every weekend, as did Preservation
Hall, the Monteleone Hotel and Sam Butera, not to mention all the swank
lounges where Cuba Libras flowed and hot Cuban sounds dominated.
At the Famous Door, I always wondered about the vocalist who belted out Jazz
Me Blues, but she remained unnamed and well under the radar. I never knew her
to appear with the Dukes during that period, but she was never forgotten.
Later, in different Northern cities, I'd pick up vinyl recordings of the Dukes
that never duplicated that original thrill, probably because the Dudes available
on vinyl were not the Assuntos! I figured it was personnel changes.
It took about 50 years and 50 musical genres before I got back to the Dukes,
with the internet reporting the travails of the Original Dukes and their
identity problems. This led me to downloading their photos from the 50s and joining
this list.  Finally, an Amazon item written by Angie Assunto Soulas, revealed
that vocalist's name, Betty Owens, and the fact that the singer who
mesmerized me at 13 years of age was herself only about 16 years old at the time of the
recording.   Betty married Freddie Assunto, and Angela is their daughter.  So
after holding her in my heart for many years, I finally regained my Jazz Me
Blues gal. Another reason to love the internet. It also confirms  our
proclivity for riffs as set down by originals like Bunny and Betty. May she rest in
peace. NOLA too
After the internet reported her heart attack in the early 2000s, I was
fortunate to get an address in Metarie for Betty, and immediately wrote her of my
affection, enthusiasm and admiration.
If I'd known early on that someone with Betty's chops was so near my own age,
it surely would have fed my desire to be a vocalist. As it was, the music
imprinted me for life, for such is the influence of the music we hear early on.
As someone asked me during my teen age musical yearning that was launched by
Betty...and Sassy and Billie and Nellie...
"Can you sing?"
To which i replied "No, but i'm sure i can put a song over"