[Dixielandjazz] Assisted Living Facility Gigs

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 30 07:07:19 PST 2006

Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote:

> Thanks, Steve, Helpful information.  Just guessing that maybe within  an 80
> mile radius of St. Louis there are a half-dozen or so CCRC's with entrance
> fees.  Have more experience with area Assisted Living Facilities and Care
> Centers (Nursing Homes).  One that I have spoken with in past couple of  weeks
> from
> a nice, but not plush facility, told me her monthly budget was  $300.  These 2
> levels of care are under new state mandates in MO to  show a certain number
> of entertainment events.  So if the activity director  blows all or most of
> that $300 on one group, one occasion, she is really under  the gun to find the
> freebie acts for about 7 more outside entertainment events  in a monthly
> schedule.

You are welcome Ginny. Bear in mind that many assisted living facilities
will do just that. Hire you, and get freebie acts to fill in the month.

I will admit to doing about 10-12 1 hour freebies for charity based assisted
living facilities/hospices etc., every December. With a trio or quartet. My
way of saying thanks for being blessed to be able to lead a successful band.
Usual audience 20 to 30 wheel chair bound elders. Some waiting to die.

By the same token, the quartet does several assisted living facilities at
the bargain rate of $250 or $300, where we know that is the monthly budget
for entertainment. These are "repeats" which we have been doing for 10 years
now. These venues fill in the month with freebies acts that are only too
happy to perform for nothing.

Why don't they get all freebies and pocket the monthly entertainment fee?
Simply because what they get from us is the ABSOLUTE BEST MUSICAL
ENTERTAINMENT these people will hear all year. The staff bring their own
families in to hear us. The residents at these facilities are blown away by
what we do. And what we do there is nostalgia. Music that reminds these
folks, who have been dealt a bad hand later in life, that there were better
days. And for a very brief time, we bring them back to those better days.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone