[Dixielandjazz] The Nostalgia Business - Was Jazz Is Not A Museum Piece.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 29 18:02:23 PST 2006

Hello Ray:

I think your last paragraph is right on the mark. Especially that not many
can do it successfully. IMO, too few of us bands and band leaders even try
to "pour old wine in to new bottles". And so the public perception of what
most of us do revolves around musical archeology and/or nostalgia. They are
not wrong for that is what many of us are actually doing. That's OK as long
as you have "nostalgic" audiences for whom to perform. However the average
age of folks like me in the USA who are old enough to be nostalgic, is dead.
Not a good audience to target for those musicians who wish to claim vitality
and public enthusiasm or public awareness of their music. We should be out
of, or figuring out how to get out of, the Nostalgia business.

As you know, Davern was my main man. Few on this list realize how involved
he was with Archie Shepp, Roswell Rudd, Carla Bley, Steve Lacy and Paul
Motian other free jazz players in the 1960s when Avant Garde started in NYC.
He even played some Cecil Taylor arrangements. Or how wired he was into
Classical Music. But his heart was always with Trad or straight ahead jazz,
done his way with some of his own creative, modern licks. He was a master
who made OKOM relevant into the 21st century and was definitely not in the
nostalgia business. Perhaps that's why he would ask for requests from the
audience, and then tell them he wasn't going to play them saying with his
impish smile, "I just wanted to see where your heads were."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone