[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 48, Issue 63

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Fri Dec 29 12:13:32 PST 2006

Butch,

I've had the privilege of attending at least one of your shows, and I'm
certainly glad I did.

With regard to whether I meant the rest of my comments that way or not,
I both did and didn't.

When I joined the Indianapolis Jazz Club at the age of 18, I was the
youngest member. I'm fifty three now, and still the youngest member. In
the intervening years I have come to know and worked beside many fine
people in the name of jazz. A great many of them are dead now and those
that are left are gradually disappearing, either to oblivion or to the
great state of Florida where they will await the transition to oblivion.
I miss them all, every day.  When the last of them are gone, I will be
lonely indeed.

That being said, it is nevertheless true that many members of the club
adopt an increasingly insular attitude as they get older. The desire to
share the music with younger generations is no great part of their
motivation. They have withdrawn into a world where all they want is to
have some jazz for themselves while they're still here. I can understand
that, but like you, it is an attitude I have little patience with. If it
were up to them alone, it would indeed be a self-fulfilling prophecy
under which the music and the audience go out together, never to be
heard again.  I have no desire to be the last elf to leave for the Grey
Havens.

When all is said and done, we play the hands we're dealt. If  the future
of jazz must rest temporarily on a few souls, then that is how it will
be. We may wish otherwise, but we can't really hold others accountable
for not seeing things the way we do or having the same motivations. If I
have to choose, I will be grateful for the company thus far and let it
go at that. But if I can find a defibrillator that starts the old hearts
pumping again, I'll use it...

Steve Holzer