[Dixielandjazz] Why guitar and not banjo?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Dec 25 16:55:05 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: larrys.bands at charter.net
To: barbonestreet at earthlink.net; cellblk7 at comcast.net;
dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Sent: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Why guitar and not banjo?

   I really don't think you are entirely wrong Bob. IMHO I think it has
everything to do with volume and money.  The larger the crowd and if
you are
outside or not determines the volume you need.  Non amplified
instruments
have a limit and certain instruments have the ability to punch through
naturally.

 Each instrument commonly used has a lot of punch.  Instruments
with no punch, like the flute, are never used.  As crowds got larger
the
guitar and upright bass couldn't compete outdoors and of course didn't
fit
into street bands very well.

That was probably only because they had no wheels for the piano yet
Larry,
 or long enough extension chords for the guitars :))

There is another factor that still plays a part today and that's
economic.

As things got tighter with a banjo player you could drop off the
drummer and
you could lose the piano too especially outdoors.

Yeah right!  well not in My band you don't get away with that,
 We have FOUR DRUMMERS and two of them are also great piano players
  which come in handy when we get off the streets at night and move
indoors.  :))

 Two fewer people in a
band even makes a difference today.

Yes it makes them closer to a DJ and a lot less than anything
resembling a band,

Money is not everything folks, and that situation only exists because
so many bandleaders,
(no make that sidemen who wanted to be bandleaders) often
  undercut the bandleaders price just to get a gig, and that is how many
Great Traditional Jazz or Dixieland band ended up being Dixieland
Trios, Duos and solo acts.

Sorry guys but THAT AIN'T NO Band in my not so humble opinion.
I don't care how many of the sidemen you have in the BOX.
It ain't the same and never will be.

I think it made a lot of difference if the band was a street band or a
dance
band as to what they used.

 I tend to think more street band when I think  Dixieland Band.

Probably pretty close on that one Larry, :))

Cheers,

Tom  Ratta Tat Tat  Wiggins

Boom crash splat clang pop, snap.