[Dixielandjazz] Why guitar and not banjo?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Dec 25 16:00:05 PST 2006

I really don't think you are entirely wrong Bob. IMHO I think it has
everything to do with volume and money.  The larger the crowd and if you are
outside or not determines the volume you need.  Non amplified instruments
have a limit and certain instruments have the ability to punch through
naturally.   Each instrument commonly used has a lot of punch.  Instruments
with no punch, like the flute, are never used.  As crowds got larger the
guitar and upright bass couldn't compete outdoors and of course didn't fit
into street bands very well.

There is another factor that still plays a part today and that's economic.
As things got tighter with a banjo player you could drop off the drummer and
you could lose the piano too especially outdoors.  Two fewer people in a
band even makes a difference today.

I think it made a lot of difference if the band was a street band or a dance
band as to what they used.  I tend to think more street band when I think
Dixieland Band.

Larry
St. Louis