[Dixielandjazz] Why guitar and not banjo?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Dec 26 12:30:49 PST 2006

Sort of Tom - Whenever a job presents its self and there are X amount of
bucks available the band leader has choices to make if it's less than he
wants.

Your choices:
1. turn down the job
2. refer the job to another band leader hoping that guy will pay you back.
3. Take the job at less money

What are the reasons you might turn down the gig?
1. Artistically you want a sound that can't be produced with a smaller group
2. hope that they will come up with more money next time.
3. you have a lot of work and you will most likely book that weekend
4. you are a hobby musician with a good full time gig and you live for your
art.

Take it at less money:
1. Take the job and take a smaller leader cut
2. Take the job and ask the side men to take a smaller cut
3. Everyone takes a cut.
4. reduce the size of the band to increase the individual pay
5. you are a hobby musician with a good full time gig and you don't care.

Why take it
1. jobs are too far between and the band wants to work.
2. The band isn't booking enough work at their price.
3. without work there is no reason to have a band.
4. playing for people is more fun than practicing in a garage.
5. to keep the chops up.

I submit that most band leaders will bargain with the customer either for
multiple bookings, take less or cut musicians.  Is that good? Hell no but I
think that's the way it is.  I might add that almost the same choices
present themselves to sidemen when taking jobs.

The economics of bands is a giant free for all.  I also think that this is
the reason for Unions taking it in the neck.  Too many musicians with too
few jobs.  It's economics 101.
Larry
Yikes! it's every man for himself.
St. Louis