[Dixielandjazz] So who's this Jim Cullum...?

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Dec 25 09:55:21 PST 2006

In my early, slightly more relaxed (though plenty still going on)  retirement
years, I am far more likely to go digging for what's "hidden" in this  case
music that I enjoy along with all its history.  Reflecting back on my  own
younger years plus watching the young around me--there is little or no time  for
that digging.  They are working, going to school, finding/mating  with romantic
partner's, raising kids--hoping for just a spot of leisure  and entertainment
most days, enough money to pay a sitter for an evening out  maybe once a
month, trying to manage a vacation most years--probably family  oriented and just
maybe there will be something the adults will enjoy  included.  If the goal is
to market to the group who is doing the  above--then the product, its
advertising, its delivery points, has to reach  their eyes and ears without them
having to do any digging.

I have a daughter the cruise industry has successfully marketed.  She
learned via her dad to look at the deck plan of any ship she is considering for  the
cruise.  But I'll wager that no one on this list will guess which item  on
the deck plan is the most important to her.  The answer is the size of  the
dance floor in the disco lounge.  She does not check what musicians  will be on
board--she assumes that if there is a decent dance floor there will  be music to
move her body.  But of course the musician who wants to be  heard in a cruise
lounge, or the fitness "spa", or any other dance floor or  public setting is
not marketing directly to my or any other daughter.
Instead they are marketing to the agent/establishment who wants the repeat
business of the world's daughters.  Because when it comes to musical
entertainment, where the daughters (and mothers) want to go is where their  men come
also.
Ginny