[Dixielandjazz] If you play it - they will come

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 23 07:21:55 PST 2006

>From the Asheville NC newspaper. Here's a Dixieland Band "exploding onto the
Asheville music scene in the fall of 2003." And the kids there love it.
Don't look now, but similar success stories are occurring in other areas of
USA, even on the Left Coast. Kids love Dixieland? Kids playing Dixieland?
What's this country coming to?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Jump and jive with the Firecracker Jazz Band

by Mary Snow, Take5 Correspondent December 22, 2006 12:15 am

Asheville¹s Firecracker Jazz Band will have you jumping and jiving to the
sounds of the Roaring ¹20s. The mix of high-energy beats and jubilant
rhythms creates an all-night dance party for crowds.

³When you see people who are charged up in your performance, it energizes
you as a musician,² says Earl Sachais, songwriter and trombone player. The
band will release its new CD ³The Firecrackers Explode² with a Friday night
show at the Grey Eagle.

We asked trumpeter Jerome Widenhouse, trumpet and cornet player and Sachais
about where the Firecrackers have been, and where they¹re going.

Question: How has the band changed since exploding onto the Asheville music
scene in the fall of 2003?

Answer: (Sachais) We have diversified and expanded the music of various
artists from the ¹20s, ¹30s and ¹40s era. Originally, we were playing mostly
standard Dixieland tunes, and then we started expanding into various artists
like Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong and other musicians of that era. We
have also had two performers change since we started, but thatŒs just
because they moved.

Q: What time period is your music influenced by?

A: (Widenhouse) Our music dates back to the early 20th century. Around the
turn of the century, you could only buy sheet music and set up a piano in
your house to play music. If you had music in the house, it didn¹t come from
a gramophone. Most people could not afford to buy one in 1907. There were no
jukeboxes, there was only a piano. Music from that period is the style of
music that we play.

Q: When you first started, did you think it would take off to such great
heights?

A: (Sachais) When we started playing at Tressa¹s, we were basically a pickup
band, and we really didn¹t rehearse. We just all got together and played
Dixieland tunes. After a few gigs at Tressa¹s we laid dormant for a few
months. Then four of the musicians started playing at (the now-closed)
Thibodaux Jones Creole restaurant. From there, we expanded the band from
four members to six.

Q: Whose idea was it to add a siren to the performances?