[Dixielandjazz] Critics & Fans

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Dec 20 23:25:58 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Barbone" <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 48, Issue 36

> If you keep asking, I will keep repeating myself until you get it. Even if
> you are pulling my chain. :-) VBG.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
>
> "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote
>
>> Steve,
>>
>> You call what Judy said "attack."  But, what she really did is criticize.
>> Thus again I am asking you
>
> You and I differ on the context of her post. I call it an attack.

I suppose that is what critics do then, attack?

>From the
> very beginning she carped about the way he was dressed. His stage persona,
> etc.

BTW- she did not "carp" about his stage presence & dress.

> Anyone with a  modicum of knowledge about Woody Allen should realize
> that his normal dress is "Annie Hall" retro of about 30/40 years ago. It
> is
> the "uniform with which HIS FANS identify. Same goes for his stage
> persona.
> That's who the man is, and HIS FANS love it.

Really?  I have never heard any fans speak about loving his stage presence &
dress.  Every comment I have ever heard about his stage presence is that
they think it is wierd.

a part of an identity
> that keeps him famous. Why attack his trademark?

It does not keep him famous.  His movies keep him famous.

>> Are you saying that critics have the write to criticize musicians
>> publicly
>> but fans do not?
>
> No, I am not saying that. Never have. (Sorry to have to keep repeating
> that
> but what part of "No" did you not understand the first couple of times?)

You say no but then you paraphrase the above statement anyway which
cantrodict yourself.

>> However, if you insist on using the word attack, then, often, critics
>> attack
>> performers in print.
>
> Yes, of course. I object to that also which I said several times.

So, both fans & critics should only say positive things about ones
performance, dress and stage presence?

 Since I keep asking you to explain your contradictive statements and you
just keep saying the same thing over & over again, I won't pursue this any
longer.

This will be my final statement.

Judy has every right in the world to say that she went to a concert, paid XX
amount of money, listened to 5 or 6 tunes, did not like it & left.

She has every right to give her opinion of the musicianship of the person
she paid to see.

Fans have the right to critacise as do critics.

BTW- for the folks on the List who are getting tired of hearing about Woody
Allen's musical ability, this exchange of e-mails has not been about Woody.
It has been about the right of Judy,fans & critics to freely give their
opinions.

Best,

--Bob Ringwald