[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 48, Issue 36

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 19 19:55:37 PST 2006

If you keep asking, I will keep repeating myself until you get it. Even if
you are pulling my chain. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote

> Steve,
>
> You call what Judy said "attack."  But, what she really did is criticize.
> Thus again I am asking you

You and I differ on the context of her post. I call it an attack. From the
very beginning she carped about the way he was dressed. His stage persona,
etc. Anyone with a  modicum of knowledge about Woody Allen should realize
that his normal dress is "Annie Hall" retro of about 30/40 years ago. It is
the "uniform with which HIS FANS identify. Same goes for his stage persona.
That's who the man is, and HIS FANS love it. It is a part of an identity
that keeps him famous. Why attack his trademark?

> Are you saying that critics have the write to criticize musicians publicly
> but fans do not?

No, I am not saying that. Never have. (Sorry to have to keep repeating that
but what part of "No" did you not understand the first couple of times?)

> However, if you insist on using the word attack, then, often, critics attack
> performers in print.

Yes, of course. I object to that also which I said several times.

> Are you saying that fans do not have the same right?

No, I have also repeatedly said that both have the "right". I merely ask
that neither do it.

> And, BTW, since when are most critics any more knowledgeable than some Jazz
> fans?

Damned if I know, I never said or implied that they were. Why not ask me
when I stopped beating my wife? (hopefully you will understand what I mean.)

> A critic's review is nothing more than his/her opinion, as was Judy's
> comments.

Yes, there are opinions and then there are opinions. What I am talking about
is the ego of those who opinionate as if they know what others think, or
should think, and therefore can tell others whether to like or dislike a
particular Artist or see or not see a particular Artist. In a manner that
attacks the performance or persona of the artist. I don't know about you,
but I like to make up my own mind without the propaganda.

Perhaps you would better understand it if you carefully re-read all of my
posts to get a handle on what I have said, and quit beating it to death on
the DJML.

Or, if you are serious, write me off list as to exactly what it is that you
do not understand and I will explain it to you once again.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone