[Dixielandjazz] Schwoody Schmaallem

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Dec 20 21:49:09 PST 2006

Let me try and interject a bit of sense in to this mess folks:  I have
witnessed Woody Live "Once"  enough said, and that of course is simply
my personal opinion, and no I won't buy a ticket to see him in Sonoma,
nor would I buy one to see him in Lafayette across the street from my
house.   I would have a jam session and hear better music as far as I
personally would be concerned.   Would I play on a show with him, or do
I consider my show too superior to his ?  Yes, and Yes , why because he
will draw a different audience than I can and I would be happy to put
on a show to kick his ass musically and gain some new fans of his for
my show.   Then of course I could Market my show touting that we had
also played with Woody Allen who some folks consider to be an OKOM
Star.   There are folks out there who are impressed with such trivia
and will pay better according to who you have played with.   Learn how
to market that and you too can make better money.

Woody Allen is being booked on major events and in major venues because
he is a Celebrity and has proven Box office ticket sales, plain and
simple, and the promoters who book him could care less what the Hell he
sounds like or looks like.  He attracts people who pay to SEE him up
close and personal.   If he gets one note out of a hundred correct
nobody is counting except the CPA in the ticket booth and he will be
long gone with the money before Woody hits his second song so there
will be NO REFUNDS.

Funny thing but everybody on this list has heard of Wood Allen but you
can bet there are lots of folks on hear who never heard of any of the
ret of us, good bad or indifferent.   Brings it all back to the most
important element in all of it guys:  MARKETING.

So you have some talent, some of us very good, some of us pretty good,
and some Suck big time, but NOBODY knows and nobody really cares unless
you get out and market it and get real exposure to mass audiences.   If
more of the better players who we always tout as our heros on this list
did that THEY would be working on those festivals and bigger higher
paid venues like Woody What's His Name.

To often musos like to sit back and blame their lack of real monetary
and popularity success on all those around them and at lesser skilled
players who do the marketing  correctly and treat this business like a
Business, and therefore reap the benefits.

I simply say this If all ya'll can do that Get off your duffs and GO Do
It, if not don't begrudge those who do, trust me they are laughing all
the way to the bank while some of ya'll chose to be starving Artiste'.
  I learned a long time ago that you get out of this life what you put
into it.   we only get to go thru it once, but once is enough if you do
it correctly.  :))

There are definite economical reasons why so many Rock acts and Blues
acts are playing on Jazz Festivals, like it or not !

THEY SELL TICKETS, Why Because People Like them and will pay to SEE and
Hear them Entertain. Nobody owes any of us a living just because we
have a little or a lot of talent.   Having a Great talent is worthless
if you don't know how to use it other than for your own selfish
amusement.   Why do you suppose there is SOOOOOOO much undiscovered
Talent out there in the big Old World ???

Musical content:   "This little Light of mine I'm gonna let it shine"

If it burns out , change the damned batteries and turn it on again :))

Do I like Woody Schmoody ? or Kenny G ?  nope but they did it their
way, and it obviously worked a lot better than how most on this great
list  choose do it.   You make your bed you lie in it, lumps and all.
Do it like Frank Sinatra did it HIS WAY,  but for crying out loud  Just
more of you Get off your Butts and GO DO IT.    That's how you educate
the public and spread the music.   We all know that of course just so
few of us will make the real effort needed to go out and DO IT.

If every band leader on this list would do that we would not be sitting
around here on this list bitchin' about no decent work and no audience
for OKOM.  There are audiences all over the world for it, but they are
NOT GOING TO TRAVEL TO BUM SCREW Retirement community to find it.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins