[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 48, Issue 31

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 17 13:20:20 PST 2006

 From: JBruno868 at aol.com

> Oh my Lord! That is my biggest fear. I would rather  someone go and enjoy
> KennyG, at least he can hit the notes he tries for and  think that is OKOM
> than
> too listen to Woody and feel they understand  what OKOM is supposed to sound
> like. I fear he is doing more to turn those  who are trying to like OKOM away
> then Kenny ever did.
>
> What is the fear of those on this list to agree with  me in public? I have
> received so many posts in private saying that they agree  with me but not to
> publish this on the list for one reason or another. I don't  understand that
> fear of posting what you believe to be true. Lol

Hi Judie,

Perhaps it is not fear, but the good sense not to knock specific musicians
in a public forum.

Both Kenny G and Woody Allen have huge audiences. Both of them help the
cause of jazz because they reach huge audiences. Heck, the G man has 3
Albums out of the top ten "JAZZ" album sales this past week even though he
specifically denies he is a jazz player. He has sold over 75 million
records. So who are we to denigrate him? Who are we to look down on his
audience? And who are we to tell Woody Allen not to tour when he fills those
concert halls?

More over, who are we to bitch that the sidemen stay in lesser hotels while
Allen gets a suite? Heck, HE is the main attraction. If any of the others
were not there, or replaced by another musician it would not hurt attendance
one bit. In effect he is the star, the rest are bit players even though they
may be better musicians. Far better to tour the world with Woody Allen than
play a low paying OKOM festival in East Jabib USA.

I don't particularly like the Uptown New Orleans style, though I did for
many years until I expanded my technical ability. But I do appreciate those
who play it, be it Woody Allen or Dr. Michael White. I don't particularly
like the Downtown New Orleans style, but I appreciate those who play it like
Evan Christopher, (who I think is a great clarinetist).

But what is to be gained by publicly denigrating the musicians who continue
to play in any jazz style, whether they be Woody Allen or Cecil Taylor?
Especially since they have audiences of people we don't know, and can't
speak for, who adore them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone