[Dixielandjazz] The Arrogant Woody Allen

OArkas at aol.com OArkas at aol.com
Sun Dec 17 11:45:05 PST 2006

Steve Barbone said:
<<Well, here I am defending Woody Allen again. But let me be clear, I do not
particularly enjoy the style in which he plays. HOWEVER:>>

Wow, Steve:
You just said it perfectly.   My son, who is an anthropologist had me and his
mother come to help him last week at his university with a lecture on
cultural bases in different cultures (ie how what is "normal" or "correct" or
preferred in various cultures differs).   So he uses Greek folk music and instruments
to demonstrate this.   We play some songs, some modes, some mixed meters, and
some very different instruments.   Some people, when they hear something
different from what they are used to, assume that it is out of tune, has poor
tone, lacks technique, etc..   The fact is that the perameters (norms) are just
different.   Any other judgments are just that, opinions.
Our music often uses the natural scale, not the tempered scale.   We
sometimes use quarter tones.   We play Albert/Simple system clarinets.   The tone is
very diofferent.   Some people who are raised in western European/American
traditions, can't understand the differences and think the music is inferior in
some ways.
Maybe this is why I like the old style New Orleans recordings.   It was more
like folk music and more improvisational.   And, the clarinetists all tended
to play Albert/Simple system horns.   I am blessed that I got to see and hear
Willie Humphries play his Albert clarinet at Preservation Hall a few years ago!
Anyway, Steve, you've done it again: a perceptive analysis.
Merry Christmas.
John