[Dixielandjazz] One more Woody Allen comment

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Dec 17 11:40:40 PST 2006

     "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck."
     The Emperor's New Music?
     If you played Woody's CD for people without telling them who it
was or what style of music it purported to emulate, would they think
it was well-done?
     If it misses notes, plays wrong notes, has bad phrasing, no
range, bad tone, little concept of harmony, limited melodic ideas,
awkward rhythm, and is not pleasant to listen to, is it a beginner or
someone trying to sell the idea that this style of playing is
'authentic' just because it's bad?
     I like George Lewis's playing, and Woody Allen ain't anywhere close.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "AGE, n.  That period of life in which we compound for the
**      vices that we still cherish by reviling those that we have
**      no longer the enterprise to commit." -- Ambrose Bierce