[Dixielandjazz] The Arrogant Woody Allen

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Sun Dec 17 11:36:17 PST 2006

In a message dated 12/17/2006 8:42:36 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

As to  the line Woody Allen plays in his band, listen again. It is the same
line  that Johnny Dodds played in various bands, and the same line George
Lewis  played in various bands. Is it as good? (or poor depending upon  your
musical taste) No, of course not, but it is musically VERY SIMILAR.  Allen is
simply playing revivalist New Orleans Uptown  jazz.

Come on Steve. I have over the years, listen to those  styles and whatever
you say about Woody or what ever you think he is trying to  do, he is not
reaching that level in anyway now, if he ever did. The sidemen  were but Woody was
not. When all you hear are squeaks and squawks in 4 out of 5  notes, it becomes
an attack on the senses and ears. I can listen to others who  have reach the
technical ability to play and even if I don't prefer the style, I  can
recognize the ability of any good musician. I watched "Wild Man Blues" and  thought
Woody was playing his style and although it is not my preference in  style or
sound and it might be age or just not trying but he has fallen since  then for
sure and should be regulated to a "Garage" band. Let him hire the best  to
play with him but he doesn't reach their level at all.

I don't care how a musician comes across in  personality to the audience, but
when I close my eyes and listen, it's the  notes, expressions and ability
that I want to hear.

When Larry Wright was playing clarinet with the  Buena Vista band and
imitating the exact styling's and voice from the original  recordings of the Lu
Waters band with the squeaks that were in those original  recordings, there where
those in the audience who didn't understand what he was  doing and thought he
was just playing badly. Then the very good clarinet player  Even Christopher
played with the band and never tried to play from the original  recordings.
Those same members of the audience thought he was so much  better because they
never listened to the original.

Woody is no longer, if he ever was, accomplishing what  he has intended.

You pay $75.00, for the cheap seats and listen if you  wish but for me it was
a rip off.

Jazz  Hugs

Judie