[Dixielandjazz] One more Woody Allen comment

Louis Lince louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 17 12:09:54 PST 2006

Hi Judie,

Once more I seem to be in the frame of the great unwashed because I said in
public what I believe about Woody Allen's playing. His band has some superb
musicians that I respect but he cannot cut the mustard.

However, please don't tar New Orleans revival music as being out of tune and
played by second raters (not your comment but one that has featured in this
thread). I really don't know how folk can compare him to Johnny Dodds and
George Lewis, who could actually play their instruments. In years to come, I
suspect that Johnny Dodds CDs ( or whatever medium replaces them ) will
still be selling, as will George Lewis...but Woody Allen?????

Best wishes to all at this festive season

Louis