[Dixielandjazz] Rhythm, Is Rap jazz?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Dec 16 12:11:29 PST 2006

Dan (piano fingers) Spink wrote:

For  example,  we really don't need rhythm, do we?
(snip)

Perhaps theoretically we don't need rhythm in music.  But through the years,
modern music has gone more & more towards rhythm.

In the 50s, there was a clarinet player who did an album showing where Jazz
was going to go.  It had no rhythm instruments.  However, Jazz, Pop, Rock,
all went the other way, more rhythm.

Chico Hamilton   used to have a group that did use drums, but they played a
lot of experimental jazz that was out of rhythm.

Todays audiences seem to respond more to bands that are heavy on rhythm.  It
also seems to inspire dancing.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball
 and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life
without even considering if there is a man on base."  --Dave Barry