[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen clarinet player?

brian at radiojazz.co.uk brian at radiojazz.co.uk
Sat Dec 16 12:07:46 PST 2006

 A friend an I attended one of his London concerts some years ago and he
remembers the occasion like this.....

.....he never spoke,  never smiled, let alone cracked a joke, and played a
non-stop clarinet line which paid scant attention to what was going on
around him. I never wanted to go again and the best that one could say for
him was that he was providing work for some quite good sidemen. What is not
in question, of course, is that his heart is in the right place and if it
pleases him - and thousands of undiscerning so-called jazz fans - then good
luck to the man. It just proves that you can fool most of the people....

And with that I concur.

That evening was a total waste of time and his musical arrogance is an
insult to jazz.

Brian Harvey