[Dixielandjazz] Are you tonedeaf? - TEST

Dave Hanson jazzdude39 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 8 11:18:28 PST 2006

   Charles,

  I haven't heard anyone mention about the Seashore Test in years, but in 1957 I decided to enter college as a music major. I was given this test and much to my surprise I made a 100 on it, and much to the teschers surprise I flunked the first semester as a music major. I took the course over and managed a B, but decided to change my major to business. I really didn't have time for the voice and piano needed for the music course. Being mostly broke it took me 7 years to get my degree and went on to obtain an MBA, which I hardly used as I was stuck on being a professional musician. I became a loan officer in a large Oklahoma bank but the president of the bank objected to my playing at the local country clubs and at the military base nearby (Ft. Sill). I resigned from that job and was playing on Bourbon Street three days later and never looked back.
  The mention of the Seashore Music Test, triggered my recollection all those years ago. Hope I didn't bore anyone.

  Dave Hanson
  Trombone
  Atlanta