[Dixielandjazz] Are you tonedeaf? - TEST

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Dec 8 10:55:40 PST 2006

I don't know this test but decades ago the Seashore Test of several
musical abilities was fashionable. Trouble was, it isolated elements
like pitch, timbre, rhythmic memory. etc., in little Martian-sounding
snippets so that there was no telling how the test-taker functioned in
either hearing or performing in real musical contexts. I gather that
the same flaw exists in this test. The Seashore Test was an okay rule
of thumb but unreliable in that some very accomplished and famous
musicians did very poorly on it, and students who did poorly were often
unjustifiably deflated if they weren't warned about its unreliability.

Charlie