[Dixielandjazz] Are you tonedeaf? - TEST

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Dec 11 07:06:32 PST 2006

I started teaching in 1962 and the Seashore Test was in vogue.  We used it
to weed out kids who had little chance to do well.  Actually it was a cut
down version of the full test.  I discarded it very quickly after about two
years because of two reasons.  The first was that parents paid absolutely no
attention to the results and enrolled their kids anyway and secondly it
seemed to be not worth the time that it took.

That doesn't mean that some sort of testing is necessarily a bad thing.
Today, in most schools,  any kid who wants to play and shows up with an
instrument gets a chance.  The problem with this is that you end up with 17
drummers out of every 25 kids that start and most of them are hyperactive.
Larry
St. Louis