[Dixielandjazz] student flute

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Aug 30 09:16:43 PDT 2006

Gary Kiser wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My 9 year old daughter has decided to take up the flute.  Although,
> she does enjoy classical music, she is quite turned on by the flute in
> latin music.  Plus, I have played her some Jethro Tull with Ian
> Anderson which she quite enjoys.  Trad jazz may not be her principle
> interest at the moment, but I am for her learning music whatever the
> genre.
>
> Anyway, I am a brass man and know very little of flutes.  Can someone
> recommend to me a good student model flute at a reasonable price.
> Someone suggested the Armstrong 101 or 102 which I find on eBay for
> around $75, but my fixit guy says he doesn't like Armstrong at all.
> Alas, I don't know what to get.
>
> Please respond off list.
>
> Does anyone have a flute for sale?
>
> Thanks to all, Gary

Good for her, Gary. My daughter Kathy played flute and became a very
fine player. (She also played bass trumpet thanks to a band director in
high school who needed more marchng band brass and no flutes. She wanted
me to teach her -- but being a wise father, I got her a teacher and she
did well.)  But in spite of her very high level of musical achievement
on the flute and  a chance for a scholarship as college music major, she
opted to get married and  have babies.  She sold  the  flute and  hasn't
touched music except as a listener since.  Neither of my grandkids
showed interest in taking up any kind of instrument. I guess the family
gene pool dried up in that regard.
As to flutes, Kathy had a Selmer (used) that had a lovely tone. I am of
the mind  that if a kid is to learn they need to have a good  instrument
to learn on.. How do you develop the ear and enable good intonation
unless the axe is capable of producing  it. No time to cheap up. (Better
resale price if things do not work out long  term.) My dad, being a reed
man, got Red Nichols ( family friend) to pick out a good used cornet for
me when I switched from clarinet to cornet. He wanted me to have a good
horn to learn on, not a so-called student model. Have played an old Conn
Victor fror years.)
By the way, those "babies" of Kathy's are now (boy) 20, and (girl) 18.
But encourage your youngster -- don't push, let it come - at every
chance, since it is a gift to be able to see a child focus in on music
other than with headphones.
Best to you, dad,
Don Ingle