[Dixielandjazz] RE: AMERICAN RAG ARTICLE, Jim Kashishian

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Wed Aug 30 08:06:49 PDT 2006

Hi, Jim--

The e-mail for Don is:  don at americanrag.com

Phone / Fax is: 760.247.5145

BTW, in the same issue, starting on p 35, is a wonderful old poem which is
titled "Crabby Old Woman."  This poem has been known to me for about 40
years by the name "What Do You See, Nurse?"

If you get the Rag do take a moment to read it....especially some of the
ending verses:

"But inside this old carcass
A young girl still dwells.
And now and again,
My battered heart swells.

I remember the joys,
I remember the pain
And I'm loving and living
Life over again.

.....So open your eyes, people,
Open, and see,
Not a crabby old woman;--
Look closer...see ME!"

I have thought of this poem so many times at jazz festivals or smaller jazz
performances....so many people are truly energized and given pleasure by
this music.."loving and living life over again" ..on the dance floor,
regardless of posture or shuffling, smiling & talking,--even the one old
gentleman who appears to sleep through most numbers, but who then open his
eyes with a big grin and claps his hand and says "Gosh, that was great!"

In terms of business, no , this isn't marketing to the young and introducing
music to the next generation...but it sure does wonderful things for us!

Janie
janie39 at socal.rr.com