[Dixielandjazz] music and dementia

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Aug 28 20:19:16 PDT 2006

The Snip:
In a message dated 8/28/2006 11:51:27 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
Cebuisle2 at aol.com writes:

However-there is an entire field of medicine (?) called "music
psychotherapy" which is fascinating to explore.  I had a teaching  friend
years ago who was
a medical doctor in this field at the old  Pilgrim State mental  hospital on
Long Island. The stories he  told!!!!!
My Addition:

At the end of WW II with thousands of Veterans in mental hospitals, docs.,
etc. noticed that patients responded particularly well to the professional
musicians that were often donating their time to come in an entertain.   That
evolved into the professional field of Music Therapy, a four year  college + 6
month internship plus certifications exams for entry into  practice.  Curriculum
roughly 60 credit hours of liberal arts &  sciences, 30 of music and about 34
credit hours of music therapy.  It is  not solely focused at the
undergraduate level on mental health but covers all  areas of practice with a variety of
sub-specialities.  Masters and doctoral  programs in the field exist.  For
those with interest, I'm including the  website for their organization in USA
although some of the best practices in the  field have emerged from UK, Australia,
several other countries in Europe.
>http://www.musictherapy.org/<

Ginny