[Dixielandjazz] Mini Trombone/Slide Trumpet

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Aug 21 15:06:54 PDT 2006

Hi Steve,

I see the slide trumpets on eBay now and then, both new and used. They run
about $325 new. I bought one a few years ago used for $275. It was in fine
shape. I intended it mainly for shtick, sight gags ("would you like a little
trombone accompaniment?") and so on. I've dreamed of doing Dixieland with a
pocket trumpet, slide trumpet, and soprano sax that is shaped like an alto,
especially if the players are big guys my size. So far I have not managed to
put that one together.

But once I got used to the intonation with the shorter slide, I found that
the horn actually produces quite a nice sound. With fewer curves than a
trumpet or cornet, the sound comes out smooth and clean.

By the way, the tuning is accomplished by adjusting the position of the
tubes at the point where the two parts connect. The thumb screw does not
change the tone. You move the tube in or out and use the screw to secure it
in place. But then you also have the slide, so like bone players, you don't
really have to be in tune.

Have fun with it!

Elazar Brandt
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band