[Dixielandjazz] Mini Trombone/Slide Trumpet

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Mon Aug 21 10:28:45 PDT 2006

Steve Pendleton wrote:
"I had never heard of this instrument before, when I saw one Bay.  Made
by Jupiter, it is the size of a trumpet with trumpet mouthpiece and
trombone-style slide, but no tuning slide.  Tuning is accomplished by
turning a thumb screw at the base of the bell to vary pitch.

"I should have bid on it when I had the chance.  Has anyone seen or
owned one of these?  I was captured by it, and the ham in me would love
to have one in a trad jazz setting, so I could have a shtick, and some
fun with the audience.  If you know someone who sells them, please let
me know."

I have one.  The "tuning slide" is adjusted by how far the slide section
is pushed into the bell section, with a locking screw like a flugelhorn.

It produces a interesting sound. Having a smaller bore than most modern
trumpets, it isn't a big, bright tone. And yet, having the
straight-through tubing of a trombone, its tone differs from a normal
trumpet that same way a slide trombone differs from a valve trombone.

The Jupiter has a seven-position slide (some others have only five) and
they're pretty close together.  Trombonists who can also play trumpet
usually need a little practice to make the adjustment, but then they
seem to have no trouble with it.  It seems best to think of it as a
soprano trombone rather than as slide trumpet.

-- Paul Edgerton