[Dixielandjazz] Mini Trombone/Slide Trumpet

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Aug 21 05:27:44 PDT 2006

Steve Pendleton wrote:

 >I had never heard of this instrument before, when I saw one one Bay.  Made
> by Jupiter, it is the size of a trumpet with trumpet mouthpiece and
> trombone-style slide, but no tuning slide.  Tuning is accomplished by
> turning a thumb screw at the base of the bell to vary pitch.
>
> I should have bid on it when I had the chance.  Has anyone seen or owned
> one
> of these?
(snip)

Steve, Greg Varlotta, from the Side Street Strutters plays one.  He was our
recent guest star at the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society.

Greg put on quite a show, played tpt, trombone, slide tpt, tap danced, and
did a couple of numbers, tapping & playing trumpet at the same time.

 Incidentally, after some 21 years as house band at Disneyland, the Mouse
has seen fit to replace them with younger guys.  What a pity.

--Bob Ringwald