[Dixielandjazz] Red Nichols on YouTube

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Aug 21 07:33:10 PDT 2006

Gary Kiser wrote:

> Lowell Busching wrote:
>
>> The clarinet player on that clip looks to me like a young(er) Rosy
>> McHaurge (sp?).  Does anyone on the list know if he played with Red?
>> I plan to ask Dan Levinson who should know.
>

> Lowell,
>
> The spelling is almost correct.  Try McHargue.
>
> Yes, Rosy did play with Nichols, but I don't think it was until the
> late 40s that they teamed up. I too thought of Rosy, but I'm pretty
> sure this clip predates the Rosy/Red collaborations.  Besides, Rosy's
> ears stick out farther than the clarinetist in the clip. Here is a pic
> of Rosy http://www.danlevinson.com/images/rosyonbalconysm.jpg from the
> 40s or 50s I suspect.  You make your own comparisons.
>
> Danny would know better than I and I have send the link of the clip to
> Richard Miller for his comments.
>
> Please stay tuned.
>
> All the best, Gary

It definately was NOT Rosey. I knew Rosey all my life from time of my
birht '31 to his death. In 1940 he was wit Ted Weems in same sax
sectonas my dad. Rosie worked earlier inthe afternoon Tea Dancve
orchestra of  Maurice Sherman (Ray Sherman's fahter) and dad inthe main
eveing band. Rosey stayed on to sub for my dad the night I was born. Dad
joned Weems the same year, and Rosey joined  Weems three years later. So
I grew up a "band brat" on that band, a reasn I alway called Rosey
"Uncle Rosey," even year later when I worked with his band inthe 60's.
Somehow, and by all meansI am not  certain, it looks a bit like pictures
of have seen of Bill Stegmier (Stegmeyer) whowas active about that time.
In th 40's Red was sometimes fronting a big band, and some times a
smaller combo. (If Charlie Lodice is peeking in, culd it be hs older
brother Charlie who pplayed clarient  and Tenor with Red before Red quit
the business for a couple years before returnng during the WW II period.
What a poor quality film this is on my screen so guessing is the
game...I GUESS!
Don Ingle
PS: Rosey's hair was never  that flat combed...His was a pretty wavy thatch.