[Dixielandjazz] Red Nichols on YouTube

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Aug 21 02:39:47 PDT 2006

Lowell Busching wrote:

> The clarinet player on that clip looks to me like a young(er) Rosy
> McHaurge (sp?).  Does anyone on the list know if he played with Red? I
> plan to ask Dan Levinson who should know.

Lowell,

The spelling is almost correct.  Try McHargue.

Yes, Rosy did play with Nichols, but I don't think it was until the late
40s that they teamed up. I too thought of Rosy, but I'm pretty sure this
clip predates the Rosy/Red collaborations.  Besides, Rosy's ears stick
out farther than the clarinetist in the clip. Here is a pic of Rosy
http://www.danlevinson.com/images/rosyonbalconysm.jpg from the 40s or
50s I suspect.  You make your own comparisons.

Danny would know better than I and I have send the link of the clip to
Richard Miller for his comments.

Please stay tuned.

All the best, Gary