[Dixielandjazz] Red Nichols on YouTube

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sun Aug 20 13:05:54 PDT 2006

Before reading Ron' take on Red directing the band near the end of the
video in question, I got the same impression or idea. That when he
stopped playing and started his "spirited" directing, that the
continuing playing was from one of the two other players that came out
from behind the curtain for the middle number.

You only have to become a member of YouTube to post your own videos or
to rate the clips and make comments on them. Being registered also
allows you, if over 18 which I think most list member are, to view the
more "racier" videos. Apparently they are censoring them now to that extent.

Otherwise anyone can go to http://www.youtube.com (Don't mis-spell as
yourtube or you go to another site which is mostly advertising videos
etc. which could give you a false impression of YouTube.com!) and use
the primitive Search Engine to find that clip and two others.

Fortunately Red's videos come first because whether you use quotes or
not on the You Tube search blank, you also get anything that mentions
his name, or that a song was originally performed by him, or in some
cases there seems to be nothing relevant! The one with the medley of
Three Blind Mice, American patrol and Battle Hymn of the Republic is
also good.

The clarinet player on that clip looks to me like a young(er) Rosy
McHaurge (sp?).  Does anyone on the list know if he played with Red? I
plan to ask Dan Levinson who should know.

Lowell aka Mad Dawg