[Dixielandjazz] Who is playing OKOM?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Aug 20 10:47:36 PDT 2006

Hi Larry:

   No,  Not all blacks living in america are necessarily Americans,
although yes many of them are and most likely the majority, but there
have been Blacks migrating to the USA for decades from many other
places and they have not all become citizens for sure.  I doubt that
the Immigration service even has any idea where they are these days
either,  should have given them all a COW when they arrived then we
could track them and sign them up to vote.  :))   There are also a lot
of them in New Orleans and Mississippi right now who don't feel much
like Americans either.    We have many Blacks from Cuba, Haiti,
Dominican Republic, Egypt, and all other parts of the world all Black s
are not American and not all are from Africa, even though they may have
definite roots there centuries ago.

As for African Jazz Hits:

Check out artist like:

Hugh Masekella,  He had a classic Jazz hit :  Grazing in the Grass

Miriam Makeba  has  many classic  Jazz hits

Just the first two who come to mind.

Not Dixieland by any means or even considered by most on this list to
be OKOM,  but great Jazz anyway.

I don't know if they ever played St. Louis or not but they have played
almost every major Jazz festival in the world for many years, if us
jazzers want to expand our experiences,  ( some do and some don't) and
that' Ok too,  we have to change the radio dial once in a while and
listen to what creative things others are doing and where they are
taking music to.   We of course do not have to like it personally, but
at least we have heard it and can admire what they have done if they
have found an audience for it.

   The major record industry probably slid them over into "World Music"
to market them just like they have done many other genres of Jazz to
dissipate it even further, causing the retail sales numbers to plummet
for many years under JAZZ because they kept calling it something else.
Even with all that happening most people outside the USA consider a lot
more music Jazz than what we call Jazz here and it is
primarily because of our constant change in Marketing approaches which
often turn out to be short lived and self destructive to the market in
general.   When retail sales fall substantially major record labels
always bail out and run, even though most of the time it is because
they dropped the ball on marketing and promoting the music and the
artist themselves.
  The accountants and lawyers that have been running  the record
industry for the past thirty odd years are rather short sighted and
many not even musical at all.  where have all the Creative people gone
??  back to independent production, hence the  greatest opportunity in
history for artists to finally get a fair piece of the action if they
are not too lazy to go educate themselves somewhat and use the internet.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins