[Dixielandjazz] Who is playing OKOM?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Aug 20 09:57:30 PDT 2006

> 2. American's didn't invent jazz. It's African and it's BLACK!
________________________________
I could have missed something but aren't almost all blacks who live in the
U.S. also Americans?

I have never been to Africa but I can't recall a single tune either jazz,
popular or classic that has come out of Africa although I'm sure there are
some.  Now it seems to me that if Africa is where jazz originated you would
think that there would still be a great jazz industry there.  The common
belief is that the basic elements were there but it took the mixing with
other American and European music to bring it to life.

It seems everyone wants to take credit for this art form and we have a
national and international pissing contest.  Personally I don't care who
invented it or where it lives now.LW

> I've heard it argued that Blacks are no longer interested in Dixieland
> music and have moved on to more contemporary forms of jazz.  Could be a
> fair amount of truth to that.
_______________________________________

I haven't heard every musician or group in St. Louis so there may be some
out there but Since Singleton Palmer died I don't think there is a single
Black musician playing trad jazz here and I have no idea where the black
guys in his group are.  It's true, at least here, that Black musicians have
very little to do with this music (OKOM), don't know the tunes and if they
do, never play them.  As a group they have moved on musically which is a
good thing.  That's not to say that they don't enjoy it as much as anyone
else when it's played because they definitely do.

Now about the beer - It's all the urine of yeast.  Drink up.
Larry
St. Louis