[Dixielandjazz] Music as COMMUNICATION

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 20 07:42:01 PDT 2006

Below is a very brief snip from a long NY Times article. Interesting to
those who hear music as communication and/or as part of the sociological and
political development among different people.

For the full article, write me off list. Just put NY TIMES in the subject
line and I will see and answer it even if you get stopped by my spam filter.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Harmony Across a Divide

NY TIMES - By Alan Riding - August 20, 2006 - From Seville, Spain

The West-Eastern Divan Orchestra opened its 2006 tour earlier this month
with the first classical concert ever to be performed at the bullring in
Seville, Spain.

IT was an immensely appealing experiment, both in its idealism and in its
simplicity: Let young Israeli and Arab musicians play together in an
orchestra to show that communication and cooperation were possible between
peoples who had long fought each other.

(Remainder snipped)