[Dixielandjazz] Jazz is not an American Art Form?????

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 19 07:31:36 PDT 2006

"Cees van den Heuvel" <heu at bart.nl>

> To start: jazz is NOT an American art form. It's African and it's BLACK!
> All Americans and Europeans are just copying African art!
> In that way we are equal! To say it's invented in the U.S.A, is, and
> now I quote Bill, is BULL SHIT!

Dead wrong Cees. Jazz is not an "African" art form. And it certainly was
invented in the USA. With European, African, Caribbean, Asian and  Native
American influences. That is a proven FACT of musical history. If you like,
I can point you to many of the historical references that confirm this, but
perhaps better if you search it out on your own.

> At last I'm, triggered by Bill,leaving my politeness.
> The remarks about beer are nearly spot on, drinking Coors
> for instance is like drinking piss, which is only acceptable in
> SM-circumstances.

No argument here. My preferred beer is Grolsch.

> Another item: the lack of black musicians at American Jazz
> festivals, will open up a can of worms beyond American imagination.

You are very mistaken, or you left out the word OKOM before "Jazz
Festivals". No can or worms here. Most American Jazz Festivals include
mostly black jazz musicians. Modern creators like Wynton Marsalis, Wycliff
Gordon, Terrell Stafford, Joshua Redman, Nicholas Peyton, McCoy Tyner,
Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, T.S. Monk, et. al., etc., etc., etc. Since
the late 1930s, most black American jazz musicians have moved on to more
modern forms of jazz in an effort to continue innovating. And there are many
more modern jazz festival events in the USA than OKOM festivals.

Hopefully all of us realize that Dixieland, especially the re creative kind,
is viewed by many jazz musicians and jazz fans worldwide, as musical
necrophilia. Thus many of the world's greatest jazz musicians play more
modern forms, and their fans follow them. Those of us involved with OKOM are
very much in the minority.

That is one reason I am so keen on Randy Reinhart and Metz's Bob Cats. They
are bringing something new to the party, not just re hashing the old stuff
and serving it up as creative jazz.

> Not ducking anymore,

Nor should you be.

Cheers,