[Dixielandjazz] Jazz is not an American Art Form?????

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Aug 19 11:56:49 PDT 2006

Steve Barbone wrote:

>"Cees van den Heuvel" <heu at bart.nl>
>

>>To start: jazz is NOT an American art form. It's African and it's BLACK!
>>All Americans and Europeans are just copying African art!
>>In that way we are equal! To say it's invented in the U.S.A, is, and
>>now I quote Bill, is BULL SHIT!
>>

>Dead wrong Cees. Jazz is not an "African" art form. And it certainly was
>invented in the USA. With European, African, Caribbean, Asian and  Native
>American influences. That is a proven FACT of musical history. If you like,
>I can point you to many of the historical references that confirm this, but
>perhaps better if you search it out on your own.
>

>>At last I'm, triggered by Bill,leaving my politeness.
>>The remarks about beer are nearly spot on, drinking Coors
>>for instance is like drinking piss, which is only acceptable in
>>SM-circumstances.
>>

>No argument here. My preferred beer is Grolsch.
>

>>Another item: the lack of black musicians at American Jazz
>>festivals, will open up a can of worms beyond American imagination.
>>

>You are very mistaken, or you left out the word OKOM before "Jazz
>Festivals". No can or worms here. Most American Jazz Festivals include
>mostly black jazz musicians. Modern creators like Wynton Marsalis, Wycliff
>Gordon, Terrell Stafford, Joshua Redman, Nicholas Peyton, McCoy Tyner,
>Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, T.S. Monk, et. al., etc., etc., etc. Since
>the late 1930s, most black American jazz musicians have moved on to more
>modern forms of jazz in an effort to continue innovating. And there are many
>more modern jazz festival events in the USA than OKOM festivals.
>
>Hopefully all of us realize that Dixieland, especially the re creative kind,
>is viewed by many jazz musicians and jazz fans worldwide, as musical
>necrophilia. Thus many of the world's greatest jazz musicians play more
>modern forms, and their fans follow them. Those of us involved with OKOM are
>very much in the minority.
>
>That is one reason I am so keen on Randy Reinhart and Metz's Bob Cats. They
>are bringing something new to the party, not just re hashing the old stuff
>and serving it up as creative jazz.
>

>>Not ducking anymore,
>>

>Nor should you be.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve Barbone

I am surprised that no one has so far included the Jim Cullum band.
Jim's band is a working band, playing daily, touring frequentky,
working  with solid charts as a framework but allowing for a free flow
of solos within that framework.  This band has also garnered a large
audience via public radio on a weekly basis, and thanks to those shows
we get to hear a great band, with great guests stars -- BLACK and White
as well -- and with retrospectives on periods and bands of the past.
In so doing it provides a master's class in jazz history. Some of the
bands that have been mentioned  are more often heard on a  studio
produced CD than in person, but you do not have to go far -- to place or
to radio knob - to hear what is arguably the best working OKOM band
anywhere. So I am more than happy to add this name to the list that has
been floating around this week and I say -- it's about damn time!
Don Ingle