[Dixielandjazz] Beer & Jazz

sam meerkin / evelyne perks smeerkin at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 18 19:57:41 PDT 2006

That yokel Bill Gunter is a funny man.  We export our beer and our musicians from Australia.  Even that notorious Max Collie is one of our exports and it was Graeme Bell who influenced the revival and propagation of Jazz in Europe and England in the 1940s and 50s.  So called 'British Trad' is a whole different evolution of that wonderful American invention, and we have our own distinctive styles in Oz too.  Ade Monsbourgh who died recently at 89 was considered the "father " of Australian Jazz.  His obituary in the Melbourne "Age " newspaper makes interesting reading.  If anyone would like read it I can scan the article and send it to you, but I depart the 'list for a couple of months' holiday next Thurs.  What a stirrer, Bill!
Regards,
Sam Meerkin (I don't drink our beer, but I'm told that Fosters is a good brew - Hell, Ross Anderson drinks bucket loads of the stuff I'm told.)