[Dixielandjazz] As long as I live

sam meerkin / evelyne perks smeerkin at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 18 19:37:43 PDT 2006

I'm glad Steve mentioned Randy's group of musos.
I'm still in extacy and awe of Randy Reinhart's CD, "As Long As I Live" and was privileged to be on the Jazzdagen/Arbors cruise last Oct. or so to the Mexican Riviera when Randy gave me that CD to play on my radio program here in OZ.  I'm surprised to discover how many jazz lovers are aware of him and his fellow musicians in Australia.  We were thrilled to have Dan Barret as our special guest at Bob Barnard's Jazz Party this year in Melbourne, but his stay was oh so short.  He enjoyed jamming with some of our musos - even Simon Stribling, who was visiting 'home'.  As was discussed in the postings about European bands, I wonder how many Northern hemisphere people are aware of the great OKOM musos and bands we have here and what instant rapport we have with you guys?  It's just such a pity that airfares are prohibitively high and the tyrrany of distance so daunting as to prevent more interchange of some our like-minded musos.  OKOM is alive and well in Oz I can assure everyone, but who can afford to cross the Pacific (& the Atlantic) these days.
Regards from "Downunder".
Sam Meerkin