[Dixielandjazz] opening a can of worms

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 09:48:26 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Elazar observed:

>I was astounded to find that in Prague, a city that is not particularly
>wealthy to my knowledge, there was a hotel in the center of town that
>featured a 7 piece Dixieland band every night -- yep, 7 nights a week.

I have been to that very hotel (it's just off the public square near the Tyn
Cathedral) and was delighted to find that not only was there a dixieland
band playing in the dining room, but there was a WASHBOARD PLAYER in the
band!!!

Did you get that? - a washboard player performing in the hotel in Prague!

It's a wonderful world, full of strange and amazing things!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps - I could argue that the washboard player is probably what made the band
so popular, but I won't be that presumptuous.

bg