[Dixielandjazz] opening a can of worms

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Wed Aug 16 04:07:47 PDT 2006

Shalom Cees and listmates,

I must say, some of the best bands I've heard are in Prague, Budapest and
Milan. But to say which one is better than the others is so subjective that
I cannot even venture a guess. It depends so much on taste too. Some are
more "pop", some more in the "street band" mode, some more refined and maybe
even classically trained. If they're playing in tune and in the groove, I
enjoy them all, and trying to rate them only takes away from the enjoyment.

I was astounded to find that in Prague, a city that is not particularly
wealthy to my knowledge, there was a hotel in the center of town that
featured a 7 piece Dixieland band every night -- yep, 7 nights a week. On
one of my visits they had two bands-- one upstairs and one down. Try to find
a gig like that in the US!

OK, now I'm going back to the Lebanese border, where it's safe.

Blessings from Israel,

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble