[Dixielandjazz] (no subject) handicapped

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Aug 14 08:49:55 PDT 2006

In a message dated 8/14/2006 10:34:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

Those of  us who are handicapped have all learned a life of patience. We ask
you to  be patient too.

Mart

Thank you Mart for an injection of common sense in this strangely unwinding
thread. If I read some of the comments correctly, (please correct me if I'm
not), some people seem to think that (a) you don't deserve a HC tag unless you
require a wheelchair, (or the equivalent), (b) play the sport at which the HC
 parking stalls are placed, (e.g., if you're in a wheelchair, how can you
play  tennis?), or (c) that there are too many HC stalls and their placement
doesn't  make sense.

The state law provides the basic rules for the allocation of HC  stalls, (and
the basic HC ID that each legitimate handicapped person must carry,  in
addition to a license plate or hangtag), the local, (usually municipal),
government defines the exact number and location.
Defining HC spaces is not based on some "common sense" rule-of-thumb, and  it
is indeed fortunate that it is not. All you need do is to reread the above
assumptions to verify the obvious lack of knowledge surrounding the use of HC
tags and spaces.

Handicapped is a classification defined by a doctor, (who must sign a
certificate in the state of New Jersey, at least). That certificate is submitted  to
the MVD at the state level and the licencseplate, or tag, and necessary
personal ID card are issued directly to the HC individual. It took  awhile for
mine to be come. I have progressive emphysema. I can walk when I  can breathe,
but I do not need or use a wheelchair, walker or cane.  However, when an
infection, or sudden exertion, lowers my B/O level  below 87% I cannot do
much--except struggle to get to an ER ASAP. Emphysema  is the fourth highest killer in
the U.S. Part of the risk is lack of ability to  remove CO2 fast enough--causing
a collapse of the right side of the  heart. How much more would you like to
hear about non-wheelchair need for  HC parking? I have to walk slowly
sometimes. Sometimes I must carry portable  oxygen. At those times It helps a lot not
to have to walk further than  necessary. Am I boring everyone with all this
detail? Sorry. I just wanted to  clarify a few, apparent misunderstandings about
HC. Yes, some  people do misuse the HC spaces, but I've found a surprisingly
large number  of solid citizens not abuse the spaces just because they can.
Thank God for  them! They can literally save a life in some instances.

For what this is worth,

Dan (backup piano)  Spink