[Dixielandjazz] Listening to Smooth Jazz

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Fri Aug 11 13:22:39 PDT 2006

Friends,

I was surprised to learn that most musicians listen to music in detail, turn the
sound up if they can, and hear the harmonies, counterpoint, instrumental
technique, sectional team work, arrangers concept's, solo ideas, etc.  If you
want to hear a lot going on, listen to Bert Kempert's recordings.[ Bert himself
is not much of a trumpet soloist, but his big production numbers are sensational
].

I thought I was the only guy that did that.  The man was right.  Musicians
listen to the music, the general audience listens to the words. I seldom
remember the words, heck, I seldom remember the title. But, start the tune and I
know the whole thing.

Kenny G. always sounds to me like looking at a bowl of oatmeal.  Nothing but
texture.  I can never remember his tunes.  He does have a good tone and plays in
tune.  I'll give him that.  Once in a while, he plays a lick that makes me think
he is in a locked room and would really like to get out.

Russ Guarino
Clarinet Maven