[Dixielandjazz] Listening to Smooth Jazz

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Aug 11 15:25:08 PDT 2006

   Bob:  again here we are all just expressing our own personal
opinions, generically concerning genres  and styles of Jazz and there
is nothing wrong with that either.

Heck I get offended when somebody refers to my band as a Dixieland
Band, and not because I don't like or appreciate and respect a good
Dixieland band or song, I just don't like the mental image of
association that often comes with it as a bunch of 90 year old guys in
the Boaters and garter belts and red vests.  I just personally don't
like that look or being associated with it and don't want to be
compared with it.  I am trying to do something expansive with the music
and not be pigeonholed into a stereotypical image of Dixieland.

Hence I favor the Traditional N.O. Jazz image which seems to be more
readily acceptable  world wide and respected for a Jazz Band, at least
in my personal marketing experiences over the time period from 1990 to
the present when I began playing this genre of music mostly.

Cheers,

Tom, Wiggins,

   Gonna have to Smooth it out a bit at the Red Sea Festival however,
which Is why I got some pretty Smooth operators to go along keep a lid
on my rocker instincts :))