[Dixielandjazz] Re: Elevator music - Jazz?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Aug 11 11:27:03 PDT 2006

It's easy Rae Ann - They don't know anything of the world and what's more
don't care.  I think that everyone is affected by it.  Just take the TV
clicker for example.  When a commercial comes on I reach for the clicker.
Before the cards and letters start coming in - we all do it.  Surfing has
become a national pastime.  Everyone criticizes the teachers and schools but
you force millions of kids to actually listen to someone without a clicker.
I'm surprised that anyone is learning to read or ever does anything.  It's a
case of national clicker withdrawal.

Having said that I came from a Scottish Rite Youth Wind Ensemble reading
session last night and there was about 35 very intense kids playing music
who hang on every word of the conductor.  This is why music teachers have
known for years that their students do better in school.  They develop
listening skills.
Larry Walton
St. Louis