[Dixielandjazz] Putting Down???????

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 9 18:14:29 PDT 2006

Hi Bob:

I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

There is an old saying in Law, "Res Ipsa Loquitur" which means "The Thing
Speaks For Itself, or in this case, my words speak for themselves.

First of all there is no mention of DJML in my post

Second, there is no mention of any specific band in my post.

Thirdly, there is absolutely no negativity in my post. I did not say
Dixieland today was bad.

Yet, you accuse me of a negative post, running down members of the DJML who
play Dixieland and putting down Dixieland. Whoa, where did that come from?

I really don't get your reasoning processes.

Let me try once more to help you understand.

First of all I love Limericks as an art form and I love their humor.
Especially gaseous musical Limericks.

Second:  I rank their art and humor ahead of most Dixieland played today.

Third: I therefore think those particular Limericks were better. That does
not mean Dixieland played today sucks. Or that people on the DJML suck or
anything remotely resembling that. What it means is simply; I like those
Limericks better than Most Dixieland played today.

There is nothing for me to own up to, other than the fact that if you really
believe what you write, about what you think I said, then you need to
re-read it, in original form, (not snips) until you comprehend what I wrote.

Regarding shifting the blame? What? I am neither blaming anyone nor shifting
anything. I am merely stating what I did in plain spoken English. That you
may not like it, is your problem, not mine.

Clouding the issue? I am merely trying to get you to understand what "most"
means. Since I used the term "Most Dixieland, and you now agree that folks
on the DJML are not those who play "Most Dixieland", how then can you accuse
me of putting down DJMLers? The issue in the post was not the DJML, and not
the musicians on the DJML, and not Dixieland. It was the art and humor of
Limericks. Why do you seek to change it?

Funny that over the past year or so, every once and a while, you have come
at me personally with the "reasoning" you are exhibiting here. Accusing me
of things I did not do and/or did not say. It seems to me that you don't
know how to read what I write with any degree of comprehension. My words
speak for themselves. If you, or anyone else has a problem understanding the
written word, feel free to contact me off list and I'd be happy to help you
and/or point you to a good reading/comprehension course. On the other hand,
if you attack me, I'll reply in kind.

However, I still love you.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone