[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gaseous Gig

pcrums pcrums at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:26:31 PDT 2006

All this recent methane madness has reminded me of a strange gig-related
event.  It happened in Kobe, Japan in 1985 when Natural Gas Jazz Band was
playing at the Green Expo Jazz Festival.  A very nice, talented American
named Dolly Baker was assigned to us for some vocals and the gig went well.
Afterwards, Dolly told us that she lived in Tokyo and gave singing lessons
to Japanese vocalists wishing to sing English lyrics.

She then informed us that it was perhaps a trend was developing because here
she was featured with the Natural Gas Jazz Band and only 6 months earlier
had made a recording with a Japanese big band named "The Windbreakers."

I thought maybe she was joking but later in the tour up in Tokyo she
actually showed me the album cover—all the band members were wearing similar
windbreaker jackets.  Go Figure.

Is this a great smelly list, or what?

Phil Crumley, Natural Gas Jazz Band