[Dixielandjazz] Putting Down???????

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 9 13:33:12 PDT 2006

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>

> Steve, you wrote:
>
> (snip)
> There is more art and humor in the
> following musical poem, than in most Dixieland played these days. :-)
> (snip)
>
> Steve, I sit here wondering why you make such negative statements about the
> music we love and are all playing these days?
>
> It is my opinion that you could have quoted the poem without putting down
> the music we play & thereby putting down the musicians (us on the list) who
> are playing it.

Well, since you asked.:-) VBG

Putting down is in the eye or ear of the beholder. There is no put down of
musicians on the list, or the music as I see it. Just a comparison.

The real put down was done by those whose words prompted my post. Namely
that the thread was neither funny, nor adult. And that those who were
enjoying it were neither adult, nor humorous

Who makes those folks the authority on either? And so the put down was meant
for those who have no sense of humor, and/or have hang ups about all those
things we poor humans do that involve bodily functions.

The music? I did not put it down, I merely stated that the poems were more
artistic and humorous than "most" of the Dixieland played these days.

Seems to me that those musicians on the DJML who play great Dixieland would
consider themselves not included in the "most", and therefore not put down.
Same for the music.

Just what makes us DJMLers think that we play "most" of the Dixieland in the
world? In total, we play very little of it by compared to those players who
are not on the list.

Reminds me of a song: "You're So Vain, You Probably Think This Song Is About
You." Well, it isn't.

Cheers,
Steve