[Dixielandjazz] Strange Gigs

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 7 12:46:28 PDT 2006

One of many strange gigs occurred on First Night, 2000. As we know, everyone
wanted a band that night and I was booked as a sideman 9 months prior. The
many venues were not selling tickets. Our gig cancelled in October, and I
got $150 cancel fee. Then booked again by same contractor for another gig.
This one cancelled also on December 27 and I got $175 cancel fee. Figured
I'd stay home since I already made $325 for not playing. :-) VBG.

Then Pete Pepke (trombonist who many on the list know) who was on both gigs
calls and says (on Dec 28); Bruce McNichol is looking for Tbone & clarinet
to play "outside" at the Bronx Zoo in NYC. 9 PM to 11 PM. $400 and we'll get
a ride from Central New Jersey with banjo player. OK. lets do it, glad to
help Bruce out.

We arrive at the zoo and find that we have to wear candy striped summer
jackets. Thankfully I had my polartec sweatshirt on underneath my one size
too big white shirt and bow tie. I figured outside and the uniform was white
shirt, bow tie, black pants, I'd better be safe & warm, rather than cold.

Banjo, Tbone, Tuba and me (clarinet) are OK because we play lots of
Dixieland around town. But drummer and trumpet are being supplied by 802 AF
of M, since Bruce had booked about 20 bands and ran out of musicians.

We have a Bus in which to chill out and change before gig. Drummer shows up
and he has long jet black hair, big sideburns and is wearing fringed black
pants and a fringed black jacket. (like the deerslayer) He is too big to get
into striped jackets which were all "small" except the ones Pete and I got
to first.

Do you play Dixieland asks Pete? "Nope' Oh, where have you been gigging says
I. "Just got off the road with an Elvis impersonator" he says. Oh. Then
while vainly trying to get into a striped jacket, he catches his pants on a
sharp object and rips them from knee to crotch on the inner seam. No thread,
but helpful gal supplies 2 safety pins and he patches as best he can.

Then trumpet show up. Tall skinny kid in long black overcoat. Sunglasses on,
a beret and a goatee just like Dizzy Gillespie and all his clones used to
wear in the 1950s. Girlfriend who looks like Vampira on his arm.

Do you play Dixieland? "Nope, just bebop". Oh. He does not fits into striped
jacket so playes in his Nehru Jacket while girlfriend holds his overcoat.

First venue is by the outdoor Seal Pond at 9 PM. We go out and start simple
with Bill Bailey. I play lead, trumpet listens to first chorus and gets the
tune down pat. GREAT EARS. Drummer is wonderful. Hey, we'll be OK.

Then "Indiana". I say to trumpet. "Same Chords as Donna Lee". He takes a
blistering solo and tune goes great. But we are all cold and seals are
barking and a group of drum majorettes come bay dancing, etc., etc. Very
funny scene.

Then we are told to go the Tapir/Elephant house and play in the vestibule to
warm up. Goes fine, except we wake up the Tapirs and Elephants. Crowd loves
it. Then we are told to go to Ape House and play outside and inside. Just
follow the lights they say. We get lost as there are several lighted
pathways and the one we follow ends abruptly in the middle of the zoo
somewhere. But we finally get there. Apes go crazy.

We finish up at 11 PM by the Seals again with "Sweet Georgia Brown" Just
play "Sweet Clifford" says I to trumpet who again takes blistering solos as
Pete and I share lead.

All in all, a very funny night with two guys who we thought would be awful
but actually played their asses off. Still, funny with half of us in striped
jackets, the drummer in his Elvis outfit and the Dizzy clone in Nehru.

Saw the fireworks from NY harbor from the NJ turnpike on our way home amidst
howls of laughter about the gig. NYC invited us back the following year but
I had resolved not to do any more outdoor gigs after Mid October and started
booking Barbone Street for New Years Parties a year in advance.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone